PACE Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA)
The U.S Department of Commerce, Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) is the only federal agency solely dedicated to the growth and global competitiveness of minority business enterprises. The Los Angeles MBDA Business Center is managed and operated by the Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment (PACE), a non-profit 501 (C)(3) organization. PACE provides extensive business training and direct technical assistance (TA), specialized procurement assistance and partnership resources including business expansion support tools: financing, insurance, and bonding for MBEs focusing on capacity building to foster and secure new opportunities in Southern California.
MBDA Business Center:
· Minority-owned firms seeking to penetrate new markets – domestic & global
· MBDA Business Center assists Minority Business Enterprises (MBEs) with securing capital, competing for a contract, identifying a strategic partner, or becoming export-ready
· The Centers are located in areas with the largest concentration of minority populations and the largest number of minority businesses (3 MBDAs in CA)
· PACE recently became an MBDA in July 2021, and it is the only MBDA Business Center in Southern CA
· Extensive business training and direct technical assistance (TA)
· Specialized procurement assistance – $50MM
· Partnership resources including business expansion support tools: financing, insurance, and bonding – $25MM
Who We Serve:
Minority Business Enterprises with revenues of $500,000 located in 7 counties in Southern California including Orange, Ventura, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Imperial, and Los Angeles County.
What We Serve:
- One on One Counseling
- Identifying Contracting Opportunities
- Guidance on Public Agencies Bidding Process
- Create Marketing Strategies and Connect with Local, State, and Federal Agencies
- Registration Instructions for Government & Private Sector Supplier Vendor Portal System
- Contract Sourcing, RFP & RSOQ Review & Analysis
- Bid Proposal & Budget Development Assistance
- Small Business Certifications Assistance
- Access to capital/funding Networking & Matchmaking Events
- Various Workshops on Government & Private Sector Contracting
Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Tagalog, and other audience-appropriate languages
SDSL (Source Diverse Source Local) 5 Advanced Procurement Webinar Series
Oct 26 (Wed) 11:00 am (120 min) CLICK HERE FOR REGISTRATION
Contact Our MBDA Team:
Project Director: Bo Sivanunsakul
Bo Sivanunsakul serves as the center project director. She has 15 years of experience and a strong background in finance and business development. She oversees all staff and directs PACE’s microloan and small business loan programs. She has been working closely with entrepreneurs and small business owners in the greater Los Angeles area to improve their social and economic wellbeing through business counseling, procurement technical assistance, training, loan and grant programs.
Project Operator: Susie Choy
As the project operator, Susie Choy brings 14 years of experience in auditing and compliance in both the private and public sector. She ensures that all day-to-day program activities meet and exceed program performance outcomes and requirements. Additionally, she conducts internal reviews to ensure compliance, verifies the implementation of regulatory policies and procedures, and develops and administers operational procedures. She will work closely with the director and the LA MBDA Business Center team in developing and overseeing program goals, policies and activities.
Procurement Relationship Manager: Andrew Barrera
Andrew Barrera currently is a Procurement Relationship Manager for the Los Angeles Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) operated by Pacific Asian Consortium in Employment (PACE). He is a dedicated economic development professional with 30 years of government, private sector and Community Development Corporation (CDC) experience. While working for the California State Assembly Transportation Committee, he was responsible for coordinating disaster relief efforts for the State Assembly District Office during the 1994 Northridge earthquake, including the monitoring of FEMA emergency housing, SBA small business disaster loans and freeway reconstruction with Caltrans, as well as acting as the point of contact for inter-political office holder relief coordination. Working for the State and Municipal Governments, the non-profit economic development sector and operating his own consulting business, Mr. Barrera has had an opportunity to work closely with thousands of local and large businesses, including CEOs, Senior Executives and small business owners on a variety of business and industry-related issues ranging from transportation to small business financing, to strategic planning, to business development and government contracting. Andrew currently sits as a collaborating resource partner on the US Commercial Services’ “Local to Global Initiative” and also has been appointed to sit on the Caltrans District #7 Small Business Advisory Council representing Los Angeles and Ventura Counties.
Loan Counselor: Jennifer Whelan
Jennifer Whelan, CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA® charterholder- CFA Institute) has extensive experience in consulting, access to capital, small-to-mid size business merger and acquisition M&A execution experience. She will provide pre and post borrowing technical assistance to MBEs to secure financing, capital and bonding through one-on-one assistance, webinars, etc. She will participate in various conferences (virtual and non-virtual), training workshops, networking events, etc. that will extend the reach and reputation of the MBDA Business Center.
Los Angeles MBDA Business Center
1055 Wilshire Blvd., #900B, Los Angeles, CA 90017